Narrowing down all the breathtaking destinations that define Morocco is not easy, especially with all the spectacular experiences this beautiful North African country has to offer.
There is so much to do as you explore Morocco, from sunning on the breathtaking beaches to taking in its authentic culture that presents a fascinating mix of Arabic, African, European, and Islamic influences.
The country is also home to an array of beautiful towns that further enhance its unique landscape. Next time you are planning a trip there, make a stop at one or more of these top 5 Morocco tourist destinations in 2019. Read More : Morocco Top Places For Honeymooners
- Marrakech is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Morocco, and for good reason.
- This fascinating city is situated just north of the foot of the Atlas Mountains, and the atmosphere is electric.
- Enjoy the delicious traditional Moroccan street cuisine at the market in Djemma el Fna, which is a triangular square at the center of the city.
- Explore the historical architecture of the city by visiting the Saadian Tombs just outside the walls of the medina and not too far from the Koutoubia Mosque, another renowned attraction.
- Watch a snake charmer before grabbing a bite at the Hotel La Maison Arabe.
- Some of the popular traditional dishes served include Moroccan Couscous and Moroccan Tajine . Read More : Top Beaches in Morocco 2019
- To get away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech, make a stop at Essaouira, an idyllic coastal town that is just a few hours away.
- Since it borders the Atlantic Ocean, the waters tend to get very cold, hence swimming is out of the question.
- However, you can take advantage of the cool waters by participating in a wide range of water sports such as windsurfing, paddling and kite surfing.
- After a day at the beach, explore the medinas and souqs within the town by foot and get some shopping done along the way.
- Do not miss out on taking a stroll along the ramparts that are erected on cliffs.
- Take a cleansing and detoxifying bath at the Hammam Mounia, a traditional Moroccan steam bath, to wind down from a busy day of exploring. Read More : Top 10 Foods to try in Marrakesh
- Located amongst the striking Rif Mountains, Chefchaouen is a picturesque small town that is renowned for the streets and buildings in the medina that are painted brilliant shades of blue.
- The influence of Islamic and Andalusian architecture is quite apparent, with the red-tile roofs, blue-painted walls, doorways that are shaped like keyholes and tiled passages.
- Visit the Plaza Uta el-Hammam situated within the medina for some afternoon tea.
- Grab a bite in one of the many restaurants near the Plaza, and don’t forget to plan out a hike to the Rif Mountains if you are up for it.
- Buy some trinkets that are reasonably priced in one of the many shops in Chefchaouen to take home with you as souvenirs. Read More : Top 8 Hidden Places In Morocco
- One of the imperial cities of Morocco, Fez is distinguished as one of the oldest cities in the country.
- One of its two medinas, Fez el Bali, is recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is home to the University of Al-Karaouine, the oldest university in the world.
- There are some distinct elements of Islamic architecture in Fez, judging from the awe-inspiring mosques and ancient madrasas.
- A must-see attraction here is Chaouwara Tanneries, where leather is produced using methods reminiscent of the medieval times.
- Document your visit by taking amazing photos of the vibrant dye vats that are used in the tanneries.
- Take a stroll through the medina as you admire the traditional homes and courtyards that are beautifully decorated with mosaic tiles.
- This is a great time to get some shopping done in one of the numerous souqs and shops that line the streets. Read More : Morocco top 10 destinations for travellers
- If you are looking forward to exploring the desert while you are in Morocco, then Merzouga is a must-visit destination.
- This isolated town is situated at the edge of the stunning Sahara Desert, which makes it the perfect gateway to the Erg Chebbi dunes.
- Enjoy an authentic desert experience on camelback, with many available operators providing you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to become part of a camel safari in the dunes.
- Opt to spend the night in a desert campsite where you can get magical views of the starry Moroccan sky.
- You could also stay in a traditional Berber village, an equally exciting experience that will allow you to take in the unique Berber culture that includes lively traditional music and mouthwatering delicacies. Read More : Top Things To Do In Marrakesh
Morocco is an exciting country as a whole, with no shortage of interesting destinations to visit and activities to do. If you do not want to be overwhelmed, you can kick off your trip by visiting these destinations that are considered to be among the top 5 Morocco tourist destinations in 2019. This is the perfect way to experience the best that Morocco has to offer.